Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies are packed with oats, flax meal and chia seeds and rich chocolate flavor; they’re a delicious way to start your morning!
Let’s talk breakfast. What exactly is your definition of a good breakfast? Lately my big Pre-schooler is obsessed with muffins for breakfast, but yes even I the “muffin-fanatic” am getting a little burnt out on muffins. Shocking I know! My solution… Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies. She hears chocolate cookies for breakfast but I know they are packed with oats, flax meal and chia to power her through a busy morning of learning and playing.
I especially love how hearty these cookies are, they’re really not your typical cookie, so don’t get scared off by the term. They are definitely more filling than they are sweet, which since you are the one making them you can control exactly how sweet you want them to be. Add in your favorite nuts or substitute raisins or cranberries for the cherries and you can have a truly customized breakfast cookie to fit any palette. However you choose to personalize these cookies, I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we have; happy baking!
Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1/2 c applesauce, natural
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 egg, large
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 2 c old fashioned oats
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c flax meal
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 c miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line two baking sheets with parchment or baking mats.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the coconut oil, applesauce, honey and maple syrup.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, oats, cocoa powder, flax meal, chia seeds, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until it just comes together.
- Fold in the cherries and scoop into 2 Tbs rounds, press a tsp of miniature chocolate chips into the top of each cookie, flattening them slightly with damp fingers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, cool on the pan a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or refrigerate.
Recipe adapted from BreakfastCookies on Weelicious.com
Courses breakfast, cookie
Ashley | The Recipe Rebel says
“Double chocolate” and “breakfast” should always go together. Love these!
I agree, thank you Ashley!
I love these breakfast cookies! They look awesome and I’m definitely on board for double chocolate for breakfast 🙂
Thank you Kelly, they really are yummy and not too sweet for the morning 🙂
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Did you say double chocolate for breakfast? And cookies? What a perfect idea! I am obsessed with dried cherries so I love that these have them too!
Thanks Ashley, you are going to love these!
Jill Sutton says
I’ve been looking for awesome ways to use Chia Seeds. This is right up my alley!
I’m totally obsessed with chia seeds Jill, I hope you enjoy the cookies 🙂
Julie @ This Gal Cooks says
LOVE all of the healthy ingredients in these cookies, Emily. I totally need to jump back on the healthy wagon. I’ve been eating horribly lately! Great recipe. Pinned!
Thanks Julie, I’ve been yo-yoing between healthy and not-so healthy lately, I figure it all balance out right 🙂
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
A breakfast this chocolatey has my name written all over it!
Thanks Andi, I love them 🙂