This tender Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is a super easy, delicious week night meal that your whole family will love!
I love chicken. I could eat it almost everyday and at times in my life I probably have. I don’t eat red meat and haven’t for most of my life, but I somehow manage to continue to love chicken. Maybe because it is easy to cook? maybe because it is so versatile in recipes? who knows? It’s my go to meat when scanning a restaurant menu or planning a quick meal, with that said… I’ll admit, raw meat creeps me out! I keep a pack of disposable kitchen gloves in the drawer above my cutting boards just for handling raw meat. Gross stuff aside, I absolutely adore this roasted chicken with vegetables!
It’s an easy, delicious meal, that for a small family like mine yields leftovers. Plus, can I just say, how nice it is to cook once or twice a week and have enough leftovers to throw together fast meals on the days in between. I made this meal Tuesday, used leftovers to make potpie for Wednesday and still had enough chicken to made BBQ sandwiches on Friday = score. This meal comes together fairly quickly, the oven does all the hard work – while you take the credit and there is only one pan to dirty. What else can I say other than, you should give this recipe a try; enjoy and happy baking!
Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Yield 6 -8 servings
- 1 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 3 sweet potatoes, medium sized
- 5 carrots, medium sized
- 3 zucchini, medium sized
- 1/2 onion, small
- 1/3 c water
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375º and coat a 10" cast iron skillet with 1 Tbs cooking oil.
- Peel and slice the vegetables into uniform sized pieces, to ensure even cooking.
- Arrange the vegetables evenly over the bottom of the skillet and add the water.
- Remove the chicken from its wrapping and pat dry with paper towels, place it on top of the vegetables.
- Spread 1 tbs of cooking oil over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown on top, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 170º.
- Carefully remove from the oven and cool 10-15 minutes, slice the chicken and serve.
Courses main dish
Great photography, and looks yummy!
Emily Dicks says
Debby@Just Breathe says
This sounds delicious. I’ve been looking for skillet recipes.
Cindy Eikenberg says
This looks fabulous and I’ve never thought of making chicken in a skillet! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and the photo is amazing! Have a great week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com
Stephanie Chapman says
Looks delicious, I roasted a chicken this very morning, and now I wish I’d seen this post before I whacked that bird in the oven.
Christy Hayhurst says
stopping in from SITS!
I’ve never cooked a whole chicken in the oven. Mommy of 5 over here and that is one things I’ve never done. I’ll have to try this soon 🙂
Emily Dicks says
Christy it is so easy and my absolute favorite way to cook a chicken!