Lemon Chewies are tender, lightly sweet lemon cookies with a tart lemon icing that are dairy free and vegan.
I originally shared these cookies back in 2013, but wanted to update the post with new photos and a recipe card and since this month Feast & Devour is all about “lemon” I decided it was the perfect opportunity! The recipe for these Lemon Chewies comes courtesy of The Cookiepedia: Mixing Baking, and Reinventing the Classics“>The CookiePedia: Mixing, Baking and Reinventing the Classics by Stacy Adimando. I am a total sucker for a cute cover design when it comes to cook books, if the bright colors and whimsical design of this book isn’t enough to draw you in, then the “encyclopedic” collection of around 50 cookies, with everything from traditional to fancy cookie recipes will.
The original recipe isn’t vegan, but in honor of my sister I tweaked the ingredients to make them egg and dairy free, so if you have a friend or loved one who loves lemon or is vegan/dairy free these are the perfect dessert! I was quite pleased with the results – a lightly sweet, soft lemony cookie that even my cookie obsessed kids approve of. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we have, happy baking!
Yield 1 1/2 dozen cookies
for the cookies:
- 1 c flour, I used 3/4 c all purpose and 1/4 c whole wheat
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 2 Tbs honey (for truly vegan use molasses, agave or another plant based sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp lemon oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp flaxmeal
- 1 1/2 Tbs water
for the glaze:
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice, use a little more or less for desired consistency
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream together the coconut oil and sugar until fluffy, the mix in the lemon oil.
- In a small bowl combine the flaxmeal and water and let sit a minute to thicken and stir in the honey. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, kosher salt and baking powder.
- Add the flax mixture to the creamed sugar and mix to combine, then add the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Scoop 1 tsp the dough and roll into balls, place onto the baking pan and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
- Remove carefully from the oven and cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth, but not runny (more or less lemon juice for your desired glaze consistency).
- Dip the cookies into the glaze or drizzle it over the cookies and serve.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Chewies in The CookiePedia by Stacy Adimando
Courses cookie, dessert
Check out what the rest of the Feast & Devour crew has been up to this month:
Lemon Ricotta Fritters from Bread Booze Bacon
Raspberry Lemon Layer Cake from White Lights on Wednesday
Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies from I Heart Eating
Paleo Lemon Cheesecake from Cooking with Curls
Lemon Berry Napoleons from Home.Made.Interest.
Lemon Butter Cake from Sugar & Soul
Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake from Celebrating Sweets
Candied Lemon Peel from The Two Bite Club
Lemon Poke Cake from Liz on Call
(See below for an old photo circa 2013!)