Yield 1 1/2 dozen cookies
for the cookies:
- 1 c flour, I used 3/4 c all purpose and 1/4 c whole wheat
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 2 Tbs honey (for truly vegan use molasses, agave or another plant based sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp lemon oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp flaxmeal
- 1 1/2 Tbs water
for the glaze:
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice, use a little more or less for desired consistency
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream together the coconut oil and sugar until fluffy, the mix in the lemon oil.
- In a small bowl combine the flaxmeal and water and let sit a minute to thicken and stir in the honey. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, kosher salt and baking powder.
- Add the flax mixture to the creamed sugar and mix to combine, then add the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Scoop 1 tsp the dough and roll into balls, place onto the baking pan and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
- Remove carefully from the oven and cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth, but not runny (more or less lemon juice for your desired glaze consistency).
- Dip the cookies into the glaze or drizzle it over the cookies and serve.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Chewies in The CookiePedia by Stacy Adimando
Courses cookie, dessert
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at https://itbakesmehappy.com/2013/02/lemon-chewies.html