Tart cranberries and lime atop an oat crumb base with crunchy oat crumb topping make these bars a welcomed addition to your Thanksgiving table.
Last week at the grocery store I spotted bags of fresh cranberries and instinctively threw a bag in my shopping cart. It wasn’t until a few days later that I decided to make these bars. I am a huge cherry lime fan, so it just seemed like a no brainer to combine cranberry and lime into a dessert. If you like your dessert bars a little sweet and sour then you are going to love these Cranberry Lime Crumb Bars. They would be perfect along side your Thanksgiving spread, enjoy and happy baking!
Cranberry Lime Crumb Bars
Yield 12 bars
For the crust/crumb topping:
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c old fashioned oats
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 c cranberries, I used fresh
- 1/3 c sugar
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs lime zest
- 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and line an 8"x8" baking pan with foil, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder and salt.
- Add the coconut oil and stir until crumbly.
- Add the egg and stir well.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the cranberries, sugar, lime juice, lime zest, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Press 1 cup of the crumb mixture into the bottom of your baking pan and top with the cranberry mixture.
- Spread the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the cranberries and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan until room temperature, slice and serve.
- Store remaining bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
recipe adapted from Cranberry Crumb Bars by Betty Crocker