White Wheat Burger Buns
Yield 6 buns
- 1/2 c warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbs warm milk
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbs instant yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- poppy seeds for topping
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the water, milk, honey and sugar, add the yeast and let bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 1 c all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt, using a wooden spoon stir in the egg, yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Add the remaining 1/2 c all purpose flour and stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it is smooth, about 8-10 minutes, you may need to add extra flour if it is still a bit sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in an oiled mixing bowl, cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Shape the dough into 6 equal buns, cover again and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400º, coat the buns with coconut oil and sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the buns are golden brown and the bottom is lightly browned, cool on the pan completely.
- Slice and serve garnished with your favorite sandwich fixings.
Recipe adapted from Whole Wheat Burger Buns in Veggie Burgers Every Which Way by Lukas Volger