Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls
Yield 12 rolls
for the dough:
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c water
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- 1 egg
for the filling:
- 1 c finely chopped Pacari Raw Chocolate 70% Cacao
- 1/2 c Dixie Crystals dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
for the icing:
- 1 c Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 Tbs milk
- 1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- In the bowl of your strand mixer add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast, stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the water, milk and butter, heat for 1 minute over high power.
- Using the dough hook, gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, add the egg and knead over medium/low speed for 4-5 minutes; the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Turn your oven light on and place the bowl inside to let the dough rise while you make the filling.
- In a bowl stir together the 1/2 c brown sugar and 3 Tbs of softened butter, stir in the finely chopped chocolate.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (a little extra flour will keep it from sticking to your counter).
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving about an inch all the way around.
- Starting with the long side roll the dough towards yourself and pinch the seam to seal.
- Slice the log in half and then slice each half into six equal pieces.
- Spray a large pie pan or 9"X13" baking pan with cooking spray and arrange the rolls in the pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and return the pan to the oven (keep the light on) to rise for about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- After the rolls have risen, remove from the oven and discard the plastic wrap.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and bake for 25-28 minutes, until lightly golden at the edges.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl stir together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla bean paste to form an icing.
- Spread the icing over the rolls and serve warm.
Courses breakfast, dessert, brunch
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at https://itbakesmehappy.com/2015/05/double-chocolate-sweet-rolls.html