Juicy fresh peaches are baked in a delicious, flaky crust for this super easy Peach Skillet Galette that is baked in your favorite cast iron skillet.
Today I am sharing this super easy Peach Skillet Galette in honor of #TeamRyan.
In December of 2013 just after fellow food blogger Ashley of Center Cut Cook found out she was expecting her first child, her husband Ryan was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. At just 8 weeks old they discovered their son Miles has a rare disease called Primary Hyperoxaluria (type 1) and is in need of a life-saving liver and kidney transplant. Their days are busy keeping up with bi-weekly chemotherapy for Ryan and around the clock care of Miles who needs hemodialysis four days per week and peritoneal dialysis daily along with too many medications to count. If you would like to help donate to a truly good cause, please don’t hesitate to, every little bit counts. Also you can find out more and follow their journey on Facebook.
Today I’ve teamed up with a great group of bloggers to help support the Wagner family in raising awareness of their cause and by sharing comfort food recipes. Nothing makes a bad day better like a nice comfort meal, but let’s not forget about dessert too.
You know those days when you just want a nice warm slice of comforting pie, yeah me too! This Peach Skillet Galette is super easy to make and perfect for satisfying your pie cravings. Sweet fresh peaches are baked in a delicious flaky pie crust and it’s really simple to make, no fancy pie crust forming skills required.
Honestly I think one of the reasons I love baking galettes is the lack of technical skill it requires, my crust shaping skills are seriously lacking. Like seriously! I am sure if I really put the effort into baking pies more often I could quickly become awesome at it, but for now I am content to eat my pie rustic-style.
Peach Skillet Galette
Yield 1 galette
for the crust:
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c cold butter, diced
- 3-4 Tbs ice cold water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
for the filling:
- 8 large peaches, sliced
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 1/2 Tbs corn starch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs coarse sugar, for crust topping
for the glaze:
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbs milk, depending on desired consistency
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Using a food processor combine the flours, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until crumbly.
- Add the ice cold water 1 Tbs at a time until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 300º F.
- In a large bowl combine the peaches and honey.
- Sprinkle on the corn starch and cinnamon, stir to coat evenly.
- Roll the crust out into a large circle, roughly 16".
- Place the crust into a 10" cast iron skillet and spoon the peach mixture in the center.
- Fold the edges of the pastry in, overlapping them as you go.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 Tbs of water and brush the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Let cool in the pan about an hour.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the cooled galette, slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from Rustic Spiced Peach Tart from the Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook
Courses dessert, pastry, pie
If you are looking for more great comfort food ideas, be sure to check out these other great recipes being shared today in honor of #TeamRyan:
Sugar Dish Me made this Easy Chicken Broccoli Bake
That Skinny Chick Can Bake made Mexican Chicken Manicotti
Food faith & Fitness made a Paleo Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Zucchini, and Tomato
Spend with Pennies made Chicken Noodle Casserole (from Scratch)
Wishes & Dishes made this Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
Frugal Foodie Mama made Pizza Pierogi Casserole
Snappy Gourmet made Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole
Miss in the Kitchen made a Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Bake
Life, Love, and Good Food made this Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Bless This Mess made Quick and Easy Summer Chicken Salad
Mandy’s Recipe Box collected 30 Freezer Meals
Hugs and Cookies made Baked Parmesan Meatball Casserole
Barbara Bakes made this Veal & Wild Mushroom Stew
A Cedar Spoon made Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, & Gouda Macaroni & Cheese
It’s Yummi made an Easy Cheese & Sausage Pizza Bake
A Family Feast made these Easy Freezer Meatballs
Stuck on Sweet made Homemade Goulash
Two Healthy Kitchens made a 5-Ingredient Easy Pasta Bake