For the cookies:
- 1/4 c butter, softened
- 1/4 c shortening
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
For the icing:
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat together the butter and shortening.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, then beat in the molasses and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it comes together in a dough.
- Divide the dough into two sections, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line two baking pans with parchment or baking mats, set aside.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8" thick, using cookie cutters and cut out the gingerbread men.
- Place 1" apart on the baking pans and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Decorate the cookies with icing and sprinkles as desired and serve.
- Store remaining cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Courses cookie, dessert
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at https://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/11/gingerbread-cookies-2.html