White Chocolate Key Lime Shortbread Squares have a crunchy white chocolate shortbread layer topped with a delicious key lime white chocolate frosting.
This month I’ve been participating in the Online Blog Con in my spare time. Never heard of it? Well it’s a blog convention completely online, I mean how awesome is that? In addition to learning lots of useful new info and having the opportunity to win some great sponsored giveaways, we’ve also had the chance to work with LorAnn Oils.
Today I am sharing these White Chocolate Key Lime Shortbread Squares that are made using the LorAnn Key Lime Oil. I’m a long time fan of LorAnn Oils, as you can tell from the Chocolate Peanut Butter Crackles that I shared Monday or these Cinnamon Gummy Candies. I even use their lemon oil in my favorite pound cake recipe!
As you can imagine, I was pretty excited to do a little more experimentation with some new flavor oils. These White Chocolate Key Lime Shortbread Squares are deliciously addictive; crunchy white chocolate shortbread with a creamy layer of white chocolate key lime frosting.
If you love white chocolate and key lime desserts then these bars are a must try; I hope you’ll enjoy them too, happy baking!
White Chocolate Key Lime Shortbread Squares
Yield 24 bars
For the key lime frosting:
- 1 c white chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 oz heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp LorAnn Key Lime Flavor Oil
- zest of 1 lime for garnish
For the shortbread:
- 8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 c cake flour, sifted
To make the frosting:
- In a medium sized sauce pan heat the cream over medium/high heat until it begins to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the white chocolate, add the key lime flavor oil and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press the plastic to the surface of the chocolate mixture.
To make the shortbread:
- Butter a quarter sheet pan or 9"x13" pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt 4 oz of the white chocolate for 1 minute, stir until smooth.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the melted white chocolate to the butter mixture and blend well.
- Add the cake flour and the remaining 4 oz of white chocolate to the bowl and mix until it comes together.
- Press the dough evenly into the butter pan and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325º F, bake the shortbread layer for 20-23 minutes, remove carefully and let cool completely.
- While the shortbread is cooling, place the key lime frosting mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Then using an electric hand mixer beat the key lime frosting over high speed for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl until the frosting becomes a pale white color.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled shortbread layer and evenly sprinkle on the lime zest.
- Slice and serve, store leftover shortbread bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
adapted from White Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars by Fran Bigelow in Pure Chocolate
Courses bar, cookie, dessert
Disclosure: I was provided free oils from LorAnn Oils to create this recipe, all opinions are my own.
Want to see more great recipes using LorAnn Oils?