It’s Secret Recipe Club Group B reveal day today! I love getting a new blog each month that I can really dig into and try some recipes that I otherwise might not make the time to. Also I absolutely love reading through all the recipes and trying to guess who had me as their secret match. This month I was assigned Heather of Fit Mama Real Food. I had a really hard time narrowing down what to try, but in the end my sweet tooth won out. I decided to make Heather’s Double Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies, even though I didn’t have almond butter on hand. I made a few minor changes based on my pantry stock and also opted to go vegan, I know I made a vegan chocolate dessert last month too, but I just can’t help myself! I love the making desserts vegan so I can pass the recipe on to my sister, she’s been going strong for over three years now.
I had been craving brownies for a week or two, but since I have been trying to cut down on the sweets, I hadn’t given in and made them yet. But boy am I glad that I did, I loved these intensely dark chocolate brownies! Plus with the addition of flax and chia seeds, it’s an added bonus that they aren’t super unhealthy – even my toddler approved of them!
I typically go for a rich, fudgy brownie, these are a little more cake-like when they first cool. After storing them in an airtight container overnight, they moistened up more and tasted even better the second day. Let’s be honest, what’s not to love about a brownie filled with more chocolate, am I right? You really should give them a try next time you want to indulge without all the guilt. Enjoy and happy baking!
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
Yield 9 servings
- 1 Tbs flax meal
- 2 Tbs water
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c water, warm
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c dutch cocoa powder
- 1/3 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 c chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and prepare an 8"x8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flax meal and 2 Tbs water and let sit 5 minutes to gel.
- Stir in the sugar, water, peanut butter, coconut oil and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the cocoa, flours, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and chia seeds.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until it just comes together, fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan completely, slice and serve
Courses bars, brownies, dessert
Serving Size 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
If your looking for some delicious, healthy recipe inspiration you need to stop by Heather’s site and check out what she is cooking up – she has some really helpful mama tips too! I loved reading her birth story, I was super shocked to find out that we both have boys born on the same day but in different years. Also if you’re interested in joining the Secret Recipe Club, click here for all the details.
‘); // ]]>