Chocolate Almond Macaroon Bars have a tender short bread layer on bottom and an ooey, gooey coconut, dark chocolate & almond top.
“Almond Joys have nuts, Mounds don’t!” Do you remember that jingle from years ago? I sure do. As a kid I was always a bigger fan of the Almond Joys because they were milk chocolate. Let’s face it in the late 80’s early 90’s dark chocolate was kind of gross. Well I’m all grown up and prefer dark chocolate to milk these days, so I tend to opt for the Mounds now. Lately I have been craving Macaroons (not the trendy French Macarons) but the traditional, coconut ones.
Instead of making them into cookies, I thought why not give it a twist? These chocolate almond macaroon bars have a tender short bread layer on bottom and an ooey, gooey coconut, dark chocolate & almond top. Macaroons aren’t just for Passover anymore – at least not when you mix chocolate into them. I hope you’ll give these a try, enjoy and happy baking!
Chocolate Almond Macaroon Bars
Yield 12 large or 16 small bars
- 1 c flour
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c butter, cubed
- 2 c sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate, use whatever you like best)
- 1/2 c almonds, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare an 8"x8" pan with baking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and sugar, cut in the butter until a crumbly texture forms.
- Press the flour mixture into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together the coconut, chocolate, almonds and sweetened condensed milk.
- Once the crust is finished baking cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Next spread the coconut mixture on top and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool 1 hour, slice into squares and serve.
Courses dessert, bar
Serving Size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.