Yield 8-10 servings
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1/2 c sweet onion, diced
- 1 lb ground meat, I prefer turkey
- 1 Tbs fine sea salt
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs brown sugar, I used Dixie Crystals
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 15.5 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15.5 oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 c water
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese, for topping - I like Cabot White Oak Cheddar
- In a large pot over medium high heat add the oil and onion and cook 3 minutes, then add the ground meat and cook until browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes, then simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese and other favorite toppings.
- Store any leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2018/09/pumpkin-chili.html