Chocolate Pound Cake with a rich chocolate ganache topping makes a decadent dessert any chocolate lover won’t be able to resist!
Growing up I was never much of a cake person, I know, I KNOW! It was a texture thing or maybe the lack of frosting to cake ration? I’m not exactly sure. I have always loved angel food cake and anything chocolate, so it was kind of surprising to me that I had never made Chocolate Pound Cake until a couple of weeks ago. This cake is a chocolate adaptation/combination of a couple of my favorite pound cake recipes and boy is it a good one.
I have been wanting to make Chocolate Pound Cake for over a year now, but life gets busy with 4 kids you know!? My daughter exclaimed that this is her most favorite cake ever and that it’s what she wants as her birthday cake this year. Loaded with rich chocolate flavor and topped with an irresistible chocolate ganache it is hard not to love this cake. (Unless you’re not a cake person!)
Whether you bake it for your Valentine or to share with your friends and family, I hope you will enjoy this Chocolate Pound Cake too, happy baking!
Chocolate Pound Cake
Yield 1 cake
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder, I used Ghirardelli Majestic Premium Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 c Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 3 eggs, large
- 1/2 c butter, melted
- 1 tsp chocolate extract
- 1/4 c milk
For the ganache:
- 1/2 c chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and prepare an 8.5" loaf pan by placing a rectangle of parchment in the bottom of the pan and then coating with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir in the chocolate extract and milk, mix until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until the batter comes together.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream to a mixing bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then add the chopped chocolate and stir together until smooth.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack placed over a sheet pan and spread the ganache onto the cake.
- Cool 10-15 more minutes, slice and serve.
- Store remaining cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Valentine’s Day is looming and since February is chocolate desserts, here are 14 recipes to feed your addiction:
Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries • Easy Chocolate Pudding Cupcakes
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes • Chocolate Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
Best Chocolate Fudge Recipe Ever • Raspberry Chocolate Tart
Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Bites • No Bake Chocolate Dessert Lasagna (Lush)
Easy Ritz Cracker Toffee • Chocolate Nutella Fudge • Chocolate Mousse Truffle Shots
Red Velvet Bundt Cake with Kahlua Ganache • Flourless Black Bean Brownies
Want more delicious cake recipes?