Apple Cinnamon Bread
Yield 1 loaf
for the Bread dough:
- 3/4 c + 3 Tbs warm water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, I used Red Star
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs canola oil
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
for the Apple Filling
- 1 large apple, diced - I used Lady Alice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk, large
- 1/4 c sugar
for the Cinnamon Glaze:
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 1Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs milk
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the warm water, yeast and sugar, let sit for 5 minutes to bloom.
- Next add the oil, honey and 1 cup of flour, mix until combined, then cover and let sit in a warm place for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the sea salt and final cup of flour.
- With your mixer on low, using the dough hook, knead for 7 min, it should be smooth and elastic when finished.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled about 30-45 min.
- While the dough is rising make the apple filling, in a bowl combine the apple, cinnamon, egg yolk and sugar and set aside.
- Once the dough is done rising, shape it into a rectangle and spread the apple filling in the center of the rectangle.
- Roll the loaf into itself and place into a well greased 5"x9" loaf pan.
- Cut a row of slits in the top of the dough in one direction and then again in the opposite direction.
- Cover and let rise while your oven preheats to 350º.
- Bake the loaf for 25-30 minutes then loosely cover with foil and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven carefully and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, turn the loaf out onto the rack and cool another 10-15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar, butter vanilla and cinnamon, stir until smooth.
- Place a bit of parchment under the cooling rack and glaze generously.
- Slice and serve.
- Store any leftover slices in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2017/05/apple-cinnamon-bread-brunchweek.html