Cinnamon Bun Babka
Yield 1 cake
for the cake:
- 1/2 c water, room temperature
- 1/2 c bread flour
- 2 Tbs nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 Tbs rapid rise yeast
- 2 3/4 c bread flour
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 Tbs rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 Tbs butter, softened
- 2 eggs, extra large
- 1/4 c water, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the filling:
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c finely chopped pecans
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
for the icing:
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In the bowl of tour stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine 1/2 c water, 1/2 c bread flour, 2 Tbs nonfat dry milk and 1/2 Tbs rapid rise yeast.
- Mix at medium speed for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the 2 3/4 c bread flour, 1/4 c + 2 Tbs sugar and 1/2 Tbs rapid rise yeast.
- Remove the plastic from the dough started and sprinkle the dry flour mixture over the top of it.
- Recover the mixing bowl with plastic and set aside for 1 hour to ferment at room temperature.
- Attach the dough hook to your stand mixer and the bowl of dough.
- Add the butter, eggs, water and vanilla and beat on low for 1 minute.
- Raise the speed to medium and knead the dough for 7 minutes.
- Dough should be very stick and start to form strands.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking oil and place the dough inside, turn to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise, about 1 1/2 hours to double in size.
- On a floured counter deflate the dough and begin to round it gently with your fingertips.
- Spray the surface of the dough with cooking spray and return it to the bowl to rise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (can be refrigerated overnight).
- In a mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, chopped pecans, butter and cinnamon, stirring well.
- If using dough refrigerated over night, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured counter and roll out into a large rectangle, roughly 14"x16".
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving an 1" all the way around.
- Staring at the top of the dough, carefully roll the dough towards your body in a long log.
- Pinch the seams of the dough tightly.
- Using a twisting motion, twist the dough into a circle and place face down on a prepared baking pan, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F, place a foil lined cast iron skillet in the bottom of the oven.
- Open the oven and place 1/2 c ice in the cast iron skillet, quickly place the baking pan inside and bake the babka for 30 minutes.
- Rotate the baking pan with the babka and continue baking for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove carefully from the oven and let cool on the pan 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake, slice and serve.
- Store remaining cake at room temperature for up to 5 days.
dough recipe from Babka in The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Courses cake, bread
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2015/02/cinnamon-bun-babka.html