Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Yield 4 hand pies
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
To make the crust:
- In a food processor add the flour, salt and butter, pulse until crumbly.
- Add the Greek yogurt and ice water, pulse until the dough pulls together from the sides of the bowl.
- Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make pies:
- Preheat your oven to 425º F and line a baking pan with parchment or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the apples, salted caramel sauce and corn starch, until coated evenly.
- Roll the pie dough out into a large circle and cut the into 4 equal pieces.
- Place 1/4 of the apple mixture into the center of each pie dough section and fold over, crimp the edges to seal.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and 1 Tbs of water.
- Coat the pie tops with egg wash and sprinkle on coarse sugar, cut a small slit in the top of each pie and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, serve warm.
- Store remaining pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Courses dessert, pie
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/12/salted-caramel-apple-hand-pies.html