Healthy Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
Yield 6 muffins
For the muffins
- 1/4 c pumpkin puree
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/8 c + 2 tsp apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the streusel topping
- 2 Tbs oats
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs coconut oil, solid
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and prepare a 6 well muffin tin with paper liners or baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, brown sugar, apple sauce and egg, whisk until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it just comes together, it's ok if it's a little lumpy (over working the batter makes tough, chewy muffins).
- In a small bowl make the streusel topping by stirring together the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Cut the coconut oil in using a fork and stir until the mixture is a sandy texture.
- Divide the batter between the paper liners and top with 1/6 of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until a tester comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or serve warm.
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/10/healthy-cinnamon-pumpkin-muffins-streusel-topping.html