White Chocolate Key Lime Shortbread Squares
Yield 24 bars
For the key lime frosting:
- 1 c white chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 oz heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp LorAnn Key Lime Flavor Oil
- zest of 1 lime for garnish
For the shortbread:
- 8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 c cake flour, sifted
To make the frosting:
- In a medium sized sauce pan heat the cream over medium/high heat until it begins to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the white chocolate, add the key lime flavor oil and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press the plastic to the surface of the chocolate mixture.
To make the shortbread:
- Butter a quarter sheet pan or 9"x13" pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt 4 oz of the white chocolate for 1 minute, stir until smooth.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the melted white chocolate to the butter mixture and blend well.
- Add the cake flour and the remaining 4 oz of white chocolate to the bowl and mix until it comes together.
- Press the dough evenly into the butter pan and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325º F, bake the shortbread layer for 20-23 minutes, remove carefully and let cool completely.
- While the shortbread is cooling, place the key lime frosting mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Then using an electric hand mixer beat the key lime frosting over high speed for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl until the frosting becomes a pale white color.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled shortbread layer and evenly sprinkle on the lime zest.
- Slice and serve, store leftover shortbread bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
adapted from White Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars by Fran Bigelow in Pure Chocolate
Courses bar, cookie, dessert
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/09/white-chocolate-key-lime-shortbread-squares.html