This baby smash cake is low sugar, egg-free and made with whole wheat flour and natural apple sauce.
I first shared the recipe for this cake a few years ago after my daughter celebrated her first birthday and since our sweet boy just turned one last week, that meant baking another first birthday cake!
I didn’t even know it was possible, but both of my babies were pretty uninterested in their first encounter with cake, my son even less than my daughter! I imagine my lack of enthusiasm for cake is prewired into them somehow? I have never been a huge fan of cake, I occasionally will enjoy a cupcake, but all in all, I tend to go for ice cream.
I think this photo best explains his feelings about the cake, it’s almost like he was thinking… “Mama, what is this and what am I supposed to do with it?” Don’t let infant inexperience fool you, my sister also had a cupcake baked out of the same batter and really enjoyed it. A soft, whole wheat cake with cinnamon and applesauce, it is easy to love!
Whether you’re celebrating a first birthday or not I hope you’ll enjoy this cake, happy baking!
Baby Smash Cake
Yield 1 cake
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c natural applesauce
- 1/4 c milk, I used almond
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and prepare a 6" cake pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the oil and sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl combine the applesauce, milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and applesauce mixture alternately to the stand mixer until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 23-25 minutes, until the top springs back.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Decorate as desired.
Courses cake, dairy-free