Samoas Sweet Rolls
Yield 2 dozen
- for the dough:
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1 pkg. rapid rise yeast
- 1 c milk
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, extra large
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- for the caramel:
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs corn syrup
- for the filling:
- 4 Tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c toasted coconut
- 1/2 c miniature chocolate chips
- *optional toppings:
- 1/3 c toasted coconut
- 1/3 c chocolate syrup
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 2 c of the flour and the yeast.
- In a saucepan over medium/low heat combine the milk, sugar, shortening and salt and cook until the shortening melts, do not boil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and add the egg, beat at low speed until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, until elastic.
- Coat a large mixing bowl with vegetable oil and turn the dough to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch it down and divide the dough into two equal balls, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat cook the 1/2 c brown sugar, 4 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs corn syrup, until smooth.
- Grease two 8" or 9" cake pans and divide the caramel mixture between the two pans, set aside.
- Roll the dough into 8"x12" rectangles.
- Spread 2 Tbs of coconut oil over the dough and top with 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/4 c toasted coconut and 1/4 c miniature chocolate chips, repeat process for second rectangle of dough.
- Starting at the long side roll the dough towards yourself and pinch the seam together to seal.
- Slice the roll in half and cut each half into 6 equal slices.
- Place the rolls in the prepared cake pans and cover, let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, turn onto a serving platter and top with toasted coconut and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Serve warm or cool freshly baked rolls completely, wrap in foil and place in a freezer safe bag, freeze for up to 3 months.
recipe adapted from Caramel-Pecan Rolls in Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book
Courses breakfast, dessert, sweet roll
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/04/samoa-sweet-rolls.html