White Wheat Burger Buns
Yield 6 buns
- 1/2 c warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbs warm milk
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbs instant yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- poppy seeds for topping
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the water, milk, honey and sugar, add the yeast and let bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 1 c all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt, using a wooden spoon stir in the egg, yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Add the remaining 1/2 c all purpose flour and stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it is smooth, about 8-10 minutes, you may need to add extra flour if it is still a bit sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in an oiled mixing bowl, cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Shape the dough into 6 equal buns, cover again and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400º, coat the buns with coconut oil and sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the buns are golden brown and the bottom is lightly browned, cool on the pan completely.
- Slice and serve garnished with your favorite sandwich fixings.
Recipe adapted from Whole Wheat Burger Buns in Veggie Burgers Every Which Way by Lukas Volger
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2013/07/white-wheat-burger-buns.html