Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls are a lightly sweet, delicious, flaky cinnamon roll that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth any time of day.
Today’s treat is a result of some of my recent cravings; sweet potatoes which are delicious and easy on my pregnant digestion and cinnamon rolls. Honestly I am pretty much always in the mood for a good cinnamon roll (if I could only count the times lately that I have thought about buying a package of those Blue Bird cinnamon rolls they sell at the grocery). In my head I just knew this combination was going to be a winner and boy was I right. I especially love the color that came through from adding the sweet potatoes too. A lightly sweet, delicious, flaky cinnamon roll that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth any time of day, enjoy and happy baking!
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe type: breakfast, dessert, bread
Serves: 1½ dozen rolls
for the dough:
- ¼ c water, warm
- ¾ c milk, scalded and cooled to room temperature
- 2 c all purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1½ c whole wheat flour
- 1½ c mashed sweet potatoes (about 1½ medium sized potatoes)
- ¼ c sugar
- ¼ c shortening
- 2¼ tsp instant yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ c brown sugar
- 2 Tbs butter, melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
for the icing:
- ¾ c powdered sugar
- 1½-2 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp honey
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water, add the milk, ¼ c sugar, shortening, salt, egg and half of the flour to the yeast mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until combined, then add the rest of the flour and mashed sweet potatoes and stir until smooth.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth, let rise 1-2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and let rise an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare 2 cake pans with cooking spray, set aside.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle and spread the butter over the surface, sprinkle on the cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Roll the dough tightly from the long side of the rectangle, pinch the dough to seal the seam.
- Slice the roll into equal pieces and place into greased cake pans, bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove carefully and cool in the pan 5-10 minutes. In a small bowl combine the icing ingredients and stir until smooth, drizzle the icing over the rolls and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Cinnamon Rolls by Linda Teauge in Pots Pans and Pioneers II