Rich, gooey, chocolatey, coconut flavored s’mores macaroon bars make the perfect after school snack or dessert!
I love coconut and lately I have been craving it like crazy! When my Foodie Pen Pals box came last month and it had macaroons inside I thought to myself, I wonder how these would taste as s’mores? A few days later I still couldn’t get the flavor combination out of my head – I have a serious addiction to marshmallows; sometimes I eat them plain, straight out of the bag. Anyway, on to the s’mores, I already knew the macaroon s’mores I had experimented with a few days before were divine, so I set out to make my own version to share. These gooey, chocolatey, coconut flavored s’mores macaroon bars will leave you wanting more than one and a glass of milk to wash them down with. I shared them with our play group friends and they were a huge hit with the moms and kids. So get on up and head into the kitchen (or to the store for supplies) and make these now – enjoy and happy baking!
S'mores Macaroon Bars
Recipe type: bar, dessert
Serves: 9-12 bars
For the base:
- 1½ c shredded sweetened coconut
- ⅓ c sugar
- 2 Tbs flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 egg white, extra large
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
- 6 oz chocolate, I used candy bars - IKEA Dark Chocolate to be exact
- 1½ c mini marshmallows
- ⅓ c mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325º and line an 8"x8" baking pan with foil and prepare with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt.
- Stir in the egg white, coconut oil and vanilla until blended completely.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the baking pan evenly and bake for 23-25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Turn off your oven and remove the baking pan; evenly distribute the chocolate bars over the crust, top with marshmallows and sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips.
- Return the pan to the oven so the chocolate will melt, for about 10 minutes.
- Broil the bars at 300º for 3 minutes, watching carefully not to burn the topping.
- Remove carefully and let cool completely. Slice and serve.
Macaroon base recipe adapted from First Place Coconut Macaroons by Taste of Home